Top 10 Summer Fit Tips
We’ve been waiting a long time, but it’s finally here. Summer! Even though you promised yourself you’d be swimsuit-ready the first day the pool opened, there may have been a few too many late nights of pizza and RuPaul’s Drag Race drinking games. Don’t worry, because my top 10 fit tips will get you on the right track in no time and still leave you with enough time to have the most fabulous summer ever!
10. Summer's a great time to get outside. Spend some time in a park — not like that! Go for a run, ride your bike, maybe chat up that cute guy with the golden retriever. Whatever gets you moving, do that.
9. When you do take to the great outdoors to get your fitness on, get going early in the morning — if you didn’t stay out too late the night before — or in the evening, before you go out. Both of those times will be a little cooler.
8. Go harder! You are stronger than you think you are!
7. Think about your drink. While you’re at all those amazing cocktail parties, keep in mind that the calories you drink still count! Minimize some of the damage just by paying attention to your mixers! Try using soda water or diet tonic water instead of sugary mixers.
6. Trade long, slow cardio for interval training to increase your intensity and get that mean, lean body.
5. Don’t underestimate the effectiveness of bodyweight exercises that can be done anywhere — squats, lunges, pushups, etc. You can still get in that workout while you’re traveling.
4. There are a lot of summer bootcamps around, so grab a friend and join one for the summer. It’s more fun to work out in a group setting, plus the structure of having a time and place to go will help keep you accountable!
3. Drink, drink, drink… water. It's especially important to stay well hydrated in the summer, what with the heat and the fact that alcohol dehydrates you.
2. Don’t go crazy at the cookouts. Stick with lean proteins, fresh fruits, and vegetables. Try avoiding the heavy, creamy potato and pasta salads, as well as all the cookies, pies, and brownies!
1. The most important tip of all: Have some fun! Get out, move, and break a sweat a few times, but at the same time cut yourself some slack and take it easy.
If you incorporate some of these tips you’ll get there, so enjoy the journey — and your summer!