Make Helen Gurley Brown's Wisdom Work For You
The legendary Helen Gurley Brown, who passed away Monday at the age of 90, was a longtime editor of Cosmopolitan magazine (and the woman responsible for its infamous male centerfolds), author of controversial advice books like 1962’s Sex and the Single Girl, and a vocal champion of female sexual empowerment. But is the late feminist icon's classic sex and dating advice also applicable for single gay dudes?
Here are our five favorite Gurley Brown quotes — and their corresponding translations for gay men:
1. "One of the paramount reasons for staying attractive is so you can have somebody to go to bed with."
Transgation: Hit the gym, hit the sheets.
2. "Never fail to know that if you are doing all the talking, you are boring somebody."
Transgation: Your mouth should be open for one thing and one thing only.
3. "If you're not a sex object, you're in trouble."
Transgation: If you hide the muscles, you won’t hide the salami.
4. "Good girls go to heaven. Bad girls go everywhere."
Transgation: Put out and skip to the front of the line at all the hottest clubs.
5. "A man likes to sleep with a brainy girl. She's a challenge. If he makes good with her, he figures he must be good himself."
Transgation: Keep up on essential politics and pop culture by reading Gay.net!