Happy Hour Friday: 4th of July Style
What's the difference between a straight soldier and a gay one?... A six pack.
In honor of 4th of July weekend, I wanted to find a fun cocktail that would be palatable to me but also something one of my military buddies might drink without thinking it (or he) was too fruity. (What? I have friends in the Armed Services. Shut up!)
Fortunately, OUT's Summer Entertaining Guide had some great holiday options. This one is like a classic cosmo, only with a crispness and sparkle that removes the cloying sweetness of the original. Check it, and an absolutely gratuitous hunky Marine picture, below.
•1-1/2 ounces Smirnoff White Grape Vodka
•1/4 ounce triple sec
•2 ounces cranberry juice
•1-ounce lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage
•1 wedge lemon
1. Combine in a cocktail shaker with ice.
2. Shake, strain and serve in a martini glass.
3. Add a squeeze of lemon.
4. Make 4 more.
5. Drink one while giving your Marine friend the other four. Challenge him to drink them, saying he looks like too much of a lightweight to handle them.
6. Watch as a magical transformation occurs.
7. Don't ask questions, but tell us what happens as soon as you get a chance!
Check out more 4th of July cocktails in the Summer Entertaining Guide.